The mine is located southwest of Fredericton, Canada at Lake George, where stibnite occurs within quartz veins cutting sedimentary rocks. The Lake George Mine was discovered in 1863 by John Henneberry when antimony sulphide was uncovered during road construction.
Lake George Mining Mining and Smelting Company was incorporated in 1880 with $500,000 dollars from Canadian and American Bostonian investors. The mine passed through several hands beginning in 1876 and was mined intermittently until 1960. In 1969, the Consolidated Durham Mines and Resources took over the operation. Durham operated the mine and began the construction and use of the current tailings pond. During Durham’s ownership, the Lake George Mine shipped product around the world. Durham sold the mine to Apocan Inc. Chemical in 1995. Apocan dewatered and operated the mine for a short period of time in 1996. Apocan export product primarily to the United States. While the mine was operation shafts mined product from the Hibbard, Adams and Lawrence veins. Apocan closed the mine in 1996 due to unfavorable market conditions.
This mine is located on Canadian Dunnage Zone. The mineralogy Dunnage Zone is a record of the creation and destruction of the Iapetus Ocean in the early Paleozoic. This zone has been of interest to investors because of rich mineral deposits.
The recently reopened Beaver Brook Mine is located within the Dunnage Zone and is forecasted to produce approximately 160,000t of ore grading about 4.5% stibnite annually. The Lake George Mine
|Location Source:||Map Symbol./ topo 21G 14 E|
|Current CoordinateSystem:||NAD83(CSRS) / New Brunswick Stereographic (2953) Convert Coordinate System|